Admixtures, and particularly water reducing admixtures, offer substantial benefits in flooring concrete by reducing the free-water content while maintaining necessary workability for fast placement and compaction. This process reduces drying shrinkage in the concrete and in turn, reduces the potential of cracking and curling in the slab. Other types of admixture can further reduce shrinkage and speed of the setting to allow earlier finishing or can aid in the finish.
For all admixture applications selection of admixture type and grade is essential to obtain a satisfactory finish and result. Prior to commencing any flooring project, ensure you have read packaging and data sheets carefully. This will help you ensure that the surface has been prepared satisfactorily and the correct application procedure is being followed.
- Improve workability
- Reduce water demand
- Help prevent efflorescence
- Help prevent cracking
- Increase bond strength and durability
For more information on our admixture range, see our Admixture brochure
What are Admixtures?
Admixtures are specially formulated products that are added in small amounts to concrete, mortar or grout.They are added during the mixing process in order to modify the concrete properties of the plastic and/or hardened state. They are usually water-based solutions and can be added to the concrete at up to 5% on cement weight. Most types of admixtures are usually added at less than 1.5%.
Related post: Water Proofing
Within these Standards admixtures are categorized further into:
- Water Reducing/Plasticising
- High range water reducing/super plasticizing
- Water retaining
- Air Entraining
- Set Accelerating (+ non- alkaline set-accelerating)
- Hardening Accelerating
- Water Resisting
- Set Retarding
- Viscosity Modifying (+ consistency controlling)
- Bond Improving
- ban 300
Use of admixture in concrete and mortar:
Few points regarding benefits of Using Admixtures in Concrete and Morter:
- It Improves strength and reduces porosity
- It helps in increasing the durable life of the concrete
- Reduces damage from harsh environments: including marine, freeze-thaw and sub-zero situations
- Improves quality: better finish and reduced service life repair
- It reduces embodied carbon dioxide and energy by enhancing the effectiveness of the cement component
- It reduces noise and energy requirements during placing through increased fluidity (e.g. Self-Compacting Concrete SCC)
- It preserves natural resources: water and primary aggregates
- Delivers cost-benefits to the producer and the user.
We have different types of Admixtures ranging from Concrete, Mortar to some specialized cementitious application. Visit us at www.mconrasayan.com for all our services offered.